Who I am
Hi, my name is Sommer and I am an instructional designer with a specialty in elearning design and development. I primarily use Articulate 360 - Storyline and Rise, but I’m experienced with many different programs. I’ve been in training for more than twelve years now.
I have earned a Masters of Science in Education in Learning Design and Technology from Purdue University and a Bachelor of Arts in English with a concentration in Rhetoric and Linguistics and a minor in Communications from the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
I have worn a lot of hats on my instructional design journey. I'm an innovator, project manager, learning management system administrator, and learning theorist. I'm a writer, artist, teacher, voice narrator, video and audio editor, public speaker, design hero, technology wizard, and out-of-the-box thinker. But most of all, I am always a learner.
When I’m not working, I'm also an insatiable reader, adventurer, artist, and coffee addict. I live in Portland, Oregon with my partner and cats. Since moving to the Pacific Northwest, I’ve spent a lot of time learning how to hike, camp, and kayak.
Learning Experience Designer
I believe in the power of visual design and interaction to connect learners to content and theory.
I believe that adult learning isn't just a list of theories applied liberally to a problem. That’s how you make a fantastic PB&J sandwich, not a confident adult! Learning should be an experience, immersive and interactive, where theory meets self-directed discovery, graphic design, animation, marketing, games, and play.
That's why I don't just study learning theories and trends.
I also study things like game design, advertising, web design, social media, comic books, viral marketing campaigns, project management, and software development. Modern instructional design is ever-changing; spiderwebbing out in every direction as fast as accessibility and technology can grow. We have to adapt to that level of flexibility and personal growth. We have to learn to keep up with our learners.
I am inspired to create and empower. Learning is everywhere. And it's awesome.
Ten Random Things about me
1. I live in Portland, OR and moved here from the Midwest.
2. Street art is my favorite kind of art.
3. I keep a bucket list of things to learn and I’m always working on something from the list. Most recently I’ve taken lessons in: kayaking, hiking, riding a motorcycle (now licensed!), painting, shooting, playing the violin, yoga, French and Spanish language lessons, reading a map, and outdoor photography.
4. Proudest personal accomplishment: Losing 120lbs, keeping it off, and still losing!
5. My favorite celebrity meeting: Margaret Atwood & Barack Obama.
6. I have two terribly spoiled cats: Silas & Kaia.
7. I can neither confirm, nor deny, the existence of pictures of me at a literary event dressed as Rita Skeeter from the Harry Potter books.
8. I started my own freelancing business when I turned 40.
9. I enjoy true crime podcasts.
10. I love to travel. There's too much world and not enough time. If only professional explorer was a viable career choice.